Answers to Frequently Asked Questions About...
How to Get Emergency Contraception
Can I get EC online?
There are a few ways to purchase EC online. Purchasing EC online has the benefit of privacy and convenience, but you may not be able to get it immediately if you need to take it right away.
Some things you should know:
- Please be aware that, although there are other online outlets advertising sale of emergency contraception, you should proceed with caution as the product may be fraudulent.
- Remember that ella is effective closer to the time of ovulation than progestin-only EC, and may be effective for up to 5 days (120 hours) after unprotected sex. Click here to read more about the differences between ella and progestin-only EC, like Plan B One-Step or Next Choice One Dose.
- ella is available online to women aged 14 and older.
- The cost of purchasing ella online is $67, including consultation, medication and next-day shipping through FedEx.
- Note that FedEx does not deliver on Sundays, and in some areas does not deliver on Saturdays. Be sure to take this into account when deciding how to get EC. If this time restriction will cause you to miss the 5-day window for taking EC, then go to a pharmacy. Plan B One-Step and its generic forms, like Take Action and Next Choice One Dose are available on store shelves without age restrictions. ella is available by prescription only, regardless of age.
- If you decide to go to a pharmacy and need a prescription, KwikMed can transfer a prescription for ella to a local pharmacy for $35, which includes the cost of the physician consultation and processing.
- Progestin-only EC (EContra EZ) is also available through prjktruby for $25, including shipping (not overnight).
Buying AfterPill through afterpill.com:
- AfterPill is an FDA-approved generic form of Plan B One-Step (1.5 mg levonorgestrel)
- The cost is $20 + $5 shipping for one package, or $60 + $5 shipping for three packages
- This service does not offer expedited shipping, so it is not meant for emergency use. This site is a good place to buy EC ahead of time so you have it on hand in case you need it, but if you need EC right away, you might want to go to a store to purchase EC.
Other services: If you live in certain states, other services for online or mobile ordering of EC are available.
- NURX: Women in California and New York can use NURX to order EC and have it delivered.
- Planned Parenthood Care: Women in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Minnesota and Washington State can get EC online through this service.