Answers to Frequently Asked Questions About...
How to Get Emergency Contraception
Can I get EC online?
There are two ways to purchase EC online. One is KwikMed, which sells ella (ulipristal acetate) and offers next-day shipping. In addition, Family Planning Health Services of Wisconsin offers Plan B One-Step online, although they currently do not offer next-day shipping. Some things you should know:
- Please be aware that, although there are other online outlets advertising sale of emergency contraception, you should proceed with caution as the product may be fraudulent.
- Remember that ella is effective closer to the time of ovulation than progestin-only EC, and may be effective for up to 5 days (120 hours) after unprotected sex. Click here to read more about the differences between ella and progestin-only EC, like Plan B One-Step, Next Choice One Dose or Next Choice.
Some things to know about buying ella online through KwikMed:
- ella is available online to women aged 14 and older.
- The cost of purchasing ella through KwikMed is $42, including consultation, medication and next-day shipping through FedEx.
- Note that FedEx does not deliver on Sundays, and in some areas does not deliver on Saturdays. Be sure to take this into account when deciding how to get EC. If this time restriction will cause you to miss the 5-day window for taking EC, then go to a pharmacy. Plan B One-Step or Next Choice are available without prescription if you're 17 or older; ella is available by prescription only.
- If you decide to go to a pharmacy and need a prescription, KwikMed can transfer a prescription for ella to a local pharmacy for $35, which includes the cost of the physician consultation and processing.
Some things to know about buying Plan B One-Step through Family Planning Health Services:
- Plan B One-Step is available through FPHS for women aged 17 and older.
- The cost is $35 plus shipping.
- Sales are limited to the U.S. only.
- This service currently does not offer next-day shipping, and therefore is not intended for urgent need. It's a good resource for those who would like to keep EC on hand in case of future need, particularly if you live in an area with few pharmacies or if the pharmacy is far away.